Gigaton

Infos, news, rumeurs, photos, divers, etc.

Re: Gigaton

Message par masterofmullets » Lun Mars 09, 2020 2:12 pm

Throughout “Gigaton” it’s clear the band knows where its bread is buttered and Pearl Jam plays to its strengths instead of attempting to challenge listeners

Bref un album sans prise de risque? je commence à avoir peur...
masterofmullets

Message(s) : 1572

Message par Denis » Lun Mars 09, 2020 2:53 pm

masterofmullets a écrit :
Throughout “Gigaton” it’s clear the band knows where its bread is buttered and Pearl Jam plays to its strengths instead of attempting to challenge listeners

Bref un album sans prise de risque? je commence à avoir peur...

eh, t'as vu comme tout le monde a pèté un plomb quand ils ont entendu Clairvoyants?
"I don't question our existence, I just question our modern needs"
Music Box
Denis

Message(s) : 15079

Message par stateoflove » Lun Mars 09, 2020 4:27 pm

Bon sinon ca commence a craindre pour la tournée...
stateoflove

Message(s) : 560

Message par masterofmullets » Lun Mars 09, 2020 4:36 pm

stateoflove a écrit :Bon sinon ca commence a craindre pour la tournée...

On mettra des masques, si on est toujours vivants...
masterofmullets

Message par stateoflove » Lun Mars 09, 2020 4:44 pm

bah a ce rythme plus aucun concert ne sera autorisé.
stateoflove

Message(s) : 560

Message par Stan » Lun Mars 09, 2020 5:25 pm

CONSEQUENCE OF SOUND a déjà chroniqué l'album. Pas eu le temps de tout lire mais il a été noté B+.

Pour info, BACKSPACER est noté B et LB avait été noté C-

Je reste confiant :mrgreen:
Stan

Message(s) : 401

Message par Mc Nulty » Lun Mars 09, 2020 5:52 pm

froggy bunnyman a écrit :Et le Lanegan il est comment d'ailleurs (vu que le dernier "somebody knocking" était une bouse) ?
Mode HS ON :)

Un peu tôt pour me faire un avis mais beaucoup moins 80s, assez varié... Mais je ne considère pas du tout Somebody's Knocking comme une bouse :D Pour moi, c'est même le meilleur depuis qu'il a amorcé ce virage (ce qui demeure bien moins bon que Blues Funeral pour ne parler que des derniers, certes !)
MODE HS OFF
http://exitmusik.fr/

1996 : Paris
2010 : Londres, Lisbonne
2012 : Manchester 2
2014 : Amsterdam 1 et 2, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes
2016 : Boston 2
2018 : Prague, Berlin
Mc Nulty

Message(s) : 396

Message par froggy bunnyman » Lun Mars 09, 2020 6:06 pm

Mc Nulty a écrit :
froggy bunnyman a écrit :Et le Lanegan il est comment d'ailleurs (vu que le dernier "somebody knocking" était une bouse) ?
Mode HS ON :)

Un peu tôt pour me faire un avis mais beaucoup moins 80s, assez varié... Mais je ne considère pas du tout Somebody's Knocking comme une bouse :D Pour moi, c'est même le meilleur depuis qu'il a amorcé ce virage (ce qui demeure bien moins bon que Blues Funeral pour ne parler que des derniers, certes !)
MODE HS OFF

Merci amigo
Mode HS OFF
Paris + Marseille 2006, Londres + Werchter 2007, Belfast + Arras 2010, Arras 2012, Lollapalooza Paris 2022...
Spin, spin !
froggy bunnyman

Message(s) : 2845

Message par Olikatie » Lun Mars 09, 2020 9:59 pm

:bb: Jeremy est né le 28.04.06 et Fanny le 17.07.09 :bb:
Olikatie

Message(s) : 17466

Message par Olikatie » Lun Mars 09, 2020 10:01 pm

:bb: Jeremy est né le 28.04.06 et Fanny le 17.07.09 :bb:
Olikatie

Message(s) : 17466

Message par Yeni » Lun Mars 09, 2020 10:50 pm

Olikatie a écrit :https://music.avclub.com/pearl-jam-does-the-evolution-on-the-ambitious-if-uneve-1842068168

celle-ci elle donne envie :cow:
Yeni

Message(s) : 937

Message par Denis » Lun Mars 09, 2020 11:01 pm

Stan a écrit :CONSEQUENCE OF SOUND a déjà chroniqué l'album. Pas eu le temps de tout lire mais il a été noté B+.

Pour info, BACKSPACER est noté B et LB avait été noté C-

Je reste confiant :mrgreen:

je parie sur un 3.7 chez Pitchfork :D (si seulement Pitchfork prend la peine de le chroniquer)
"I don't question our existence, I just question our modern needs"
Music Box
Denis

Message(s) : 15079

Message par masterofmullets » Mar Mars 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Yeni a écrit :
Olikatie a écrit :https://music.avclub.com/pearl-jam-does-the-evolution-on-the-ambitious-if-uneve-1842068168

celle-ci elle donne envie :cow:

Oui ça donne envie!
masterofmullets

Message par le smarty » Jeu Mars 12, 2020 11:17 am

Super review trouvé sur RM :

There is a review of Gigaton in a famous Dutch Magazine called Oor (Ear) where Mark van Schaick used to be chief editor. This review is written by the current chief editor and even though it might not seem a glowing review at all, reading between the lines as a fan still gives me hope for this album and makes me want to hear it even more. I did my best to translate from Dutch to English.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had to wait for almost seven years: a new Pearl Jam album. The first forward-rushed music from Gigaton was hopeful: the funky Dance of the Clairvoyants was a Talking Heads pastiche, but a good one. Refreshing and daring. Atypical Pearl Jam, that's for sure. The second one was called Superblood Wolfmoon and turned out to be a rather obligatory rocker. Could it be still business as usual, this album? OOR's most hardened Pearl Jam-watcher was allowed to listen to it a few times and didn't get very cheerful in advance. Gigaton, track by track.

Who Ever Said

Yep, they did it before, on Vitalogy (1994), Binaural (2000) and Backspacer (2009) among other things: flying out of the starting blocks with two hard, unavoidable rock songs. Enter as entering is intended. It worked well at the time, but now? Who Ever Said sounds mainly rude and conventional. And lasts, with five minutes, far too long. I'm not a producer (like Josh Evans, the man responsible for Gigaton), but I would have said after two and a half minutes, the moment the band switches back: up to here and no further, boys. Then Who Ever Said would have been a powerful, concise opening statement instead of a song that with its time tricks - another half chorus, another piece of guitar solo, gas back on, and at last but not least a teasing sprint - shows just a little too much that the band clearly did not know how to put an end to it. But hey, "All the answers will be found in the mistakes that we have made '.

Superblood Wolfmoon

Throbbing entry number 2. Obligate and vulgar, with its almost anachronistic stomping drums. Or am I used to this kind of music? I haven't listened to the Foo Fighters for a decade either. Yet. Pearl Jam could be better. Eddie Vedder sounds rushed and angry, almost tripping over his words. There is not much more to say about it, because just like opener Who Ever Said, Superblood Wolfmoon does not contain a melodic hook with which you walk around with the rest of the day.

Dance Of The Clairvoyants

Pearl Jam goes Talking Heads, everyone agrees. The sum is therefore quickly made. Funky drums, scraping guitar line, pushing bass and - as a finishing touch - Vedder who sings exactly like David Byrne: the dictation, the high strings, the staccato sung couplets, the choirs, the crossing chants in the end. Pearl Jam may not sound like itself for a second, but Dance of the Clairvoyants is an (early) highlight on Gigaton.

Quick Escape

And yes, they continue in funk mode. But then slower, harder and more compelling. First associations: Rage Against The Machine and its afterbirth, Audioslave. A great foundation for the - literal - trip by Eddie Vedder. "First we took an airplane and a boat to Zanzibar." Exactly, the place of birth of Freddie Mercury, who gets a name check just like Queen. And on. To Morocco. And whoever is old-fashioned on the road, of course has 'a sleep sack, a bivouac and a Kerouac sense of time' at hand. The choir towards the chorus ('Heyheyhey hooooo') is worth gold, the chorus itself no less. After a a minute or two, Quick Escape lets go of the highway and the whole thing gets off the ground. Great moment, topped with - didn't we talk about it just now
RATM? - a genuine Tom Morello guitar moment. Spoiler alert: best number of the record.

Alright

The much needed rest. After a calm ambient-like intro, the dark brown voice of Vedder comes in, for everyone who feels addressed to provide courage in an unctuous way. Drums beat the beat, the rocking music is nicely coloured. The message: it's okay. Okay sometimes to be alone, just to listen to your heartbeat, to have secrets, things to keep to yourself, to say no, to escape from everything, to ignore the rules, to be disappointed in yourself. New opportunities tomorrow. Typical a song that is alright, we say today. And we don't always mean that cynically.

Seven O'Clock

Derived from a jam session and you can hear that. The band uses a Pink Floyd-like groove and Vedder starts a long and Springsteen-like compelling story (`Seven o'clock in the morning, got a message from afar ... '). It is just a pity that a cheesy chorus had to be made to fit in.
Also a shame: just like opener Who Ever Said, the song is eventually killed by its length (more than six minutes). The last minutes go on with totally unnecessary vocal masterpieces, in which the orchestral music goes along as if it should. Falsetto here, Bono-like swipe there, lots of bombast and completely over the top at the end. Seven O'Clock? Time for a Cup-a-soup, Eddie.

Never Destination

And again the men go on the mature rock tour. Nice up tempo, that is, and sometimes it almost rubs against classical American punk rock, but mostly here they sound like The Replacements on an uninspired day.

Take The Long Way

How do you recognise (usually) a song written by the drummer? Exactly, by the awkward time signature. Making a scent trail. Matt Cameron establish the foundation of the nicely throbbing hard rocker Take The Long Way on a seven-quart measure, but that does not undermine the song anywhere. In fact, a better chorus ('I always take the long way - that leads me back to you ') cannot be found all over Gigaton. The surprising final piece is also so strong (and different from the foregoing) that a smart songwriter would have based a completely new song on it. But drummers are probably not by definition smart songwriters (come on in, Phil Collins fan club).

Buckle Up

Seat belts tight? Well, no. After Cameron, guitarist Stone Gossard was also allowed to lay an egg and it became an elegant and wafer-thin pop shuffle, in which Pearl Jam suddenly sounds very British: Keane, Coldplay, Elbow, they are never far away. With a well-stocked festival meadow in the vicinity, this could grow to be a weak and just as easy sing along.

Comes Then Goes

Vedder in Into The Wild mode: solo with acoustic guitar. Also tends to be too long (more than six minutes), but the bearing melody is strong and you want gradually to know more about the theme: is the main figure lost, disoriented, is there more going on, and who and where is the other? The sentences are beautiful and stimulating. 'High or low, where you go / Are you stuck in the middle of spectral and visible ghosts? (...) Don't know where or when one of us left the other behind. " But 'the kids are alright', it sounds with a sense of rock & roll history. Fortunately.

Retrograde

Reportedly two years old, this R.E.M.-like ballad. The decor is wide: clouds, rain and the seven seas. Too bad the whole thing after three and one half a minute - normally a good time to close a song - still has to be lifted to Great Heights through a swelling soundscape, including a Vedder soaked in reverberation. Exaggeration is also a profession.

River cross

Many fans will know this: Vedder played it during his solo shows, even if we had to guess the title - Share The Light?. So, River Cross, carried by the same old pump organ as Vedder played it live. Along with the other two funk tracks, clearly the Other Sound on Gigaton. A solemn, worn, combative ballad that recalls Peter Gabriels Biko. A bit pompous again, but the live audience will soon enjoy it: lighter app up, fists in the air, tears in the corners of the eye and then just join in. "Let it out, shout it out." And don't let it come to an end. "I want this dream to last forever." If there is a moment when the new Pearl Jam comes close to its title ("Unity of energy that released with an explosion of hydrogen bombs and other very energetic events') it is here, at the end of River Cross.
Up here in my tree.

Paris, France 06-08-2000
Arnheim, Netherlands 08-29-2006
Antwerp, Belgium, 08-30-2006
Paris, France 09-11-2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-26-2012
Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-27-2012
London, United Kingdom, 06-07-2017 (Eddie Solo)
Florence, Italy, 06-24-2017 (Eddie Solo)
Bruxelles, Belgium, 06-12-2019 (Eddie Solo)
Werchter, Belgium, 06-30-2022
le smarty

Message(s) : 886

Message par Yeni » Jeu Mars 12, 2020 11:51 am

très bien écrit.............par contre il a pas aimé du tout , ça casse façile quant même , pas forcement la review la plus objective ,je pense ............ :roll:
Yeni

Message(s) : 937

Message par le smarty » Jeu Mars 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Oui pas forcément hyper tendre, après il a l'air hyper enthousiaste sur certains morceaux, ce qui est encourageant, parce que je partage son point de vue sur Dance et SBWM, et sur certaines de ses analyses.

Globalement, j'ai l'impression qu'on se dirige vers un album pas révolutionnaire, avec les mêmes travers de compos, quelques coups génie, et une meilleur prod. sur le papier, pourquoi pas !
Up here in my tree.

Paris, France 06-08-2000
Arnheim, Netherlands 08-29-2006
Antwerp, Belgium, 08-30-2006
Paris, France 09-11-2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-26-2012
Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-27-2012
London, United Kingdom, 06-07-2017 (Eddie Solo)
Florence, Italy, 06-24-2017 (Eddie Solo)
Bruxelles, Belgium, 06-12-2019 (Eddie Solo)
Werchter, Belgium, 06-30-2022
le smarty

Message(s) : 886

Message par Stan » Jeu Mars 12, 2020 5:53 pm

On sait tous que le coronavirus a été inventé par PJ pour cacher que le nouvel album est nul
Stan

Message(s) : 401

Message par Caribouuuuu » Jeu Mars 12, 2020 9:23 pm

1996 - Zénith - Paris - 2000 - Bercy - Paris - 2006 - Bercy - Paris - 2006 - Sportpaleis - Anvers - 2006 - Gelredome - Arnhem - 2007 - Werchter - 2007 - Goffertpark - Nijmegen - 2009 - Ahoy - Rotterdam - 2010 - Werchter - 2010 - Arras - 2010 - Goffertpark - Nijmegen - 2012 - Ziggo Dome - Ams1 - 2012 - Ziggo Dome - Ams 2 - 2012 - Werchter - 2012 - Arras - 2014 - Ziggo Dome - Ams 1 - 2014 Ziggo Dome - Ams 2 - 2014 - Werchter
Caribouuuuu

Message(s) : 565

Message par Mookie Blaylock » Jeu Mars 12, 2020 11:02 pm

Caribouuuuu a écrit :https://kinepolis.be/fr/covid-19?utm_source=BE_FR_20200312_Corona&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=&utm_content=1728&utm_term=&m_i=WXNjr4fkfADx2ghWSRsxcrZPYG1425I940QPFHaqjHjqObD3em34hs9%2Bxvf8yIUhN8xNCA4zfO9wZl8dPorI1Xqcf4dubKNWW9#

Je venais pour poster la même info, je vais recevoir un mail complémentaire de la part de Kinepolis je saurai si c'est reporté ou annulé.
Mookie Blaylock

Message(s) : 5447

Message par yoyo » Ven Mars 13, 2020 3:25 pm

Mookie Blaylock a écrit :
Caribouuuuu a écrit :https://kinepolis.be/fr/covid-19?utm_source=BE_FR_20200312_Corona&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=&utm_content=1728&utm_term=&m_i=WXNjr4fkfADx2ghWSRsxcrZPYG1425I940QPFHaqjHjqObD3em34hs9%2Bxvf8yIUhN8xNCA4zfO9wZl8dPorI1Xqcf4dubKNWW9#

Je venais pour poster la même info, je vais recevoir un mail complémentaire de la part de Kinepolis je saurai si c'est reporté ou annulé.

Toujours pas d'annulation pour la France espoir
Liam, 25 septembre 2012 / Aimy-Sarah, 11 mars 2008 / Juliette, 23 octobre 2005
1996 : Paris
2000 : Paris
2006 : Anvers, Marseille, Paris
2007 : Londres, Nimègue, Werchter
2008 : Ed solo : Los Angeles 1, Los Angeles 2
2009 : Londres
2010 : Dublin, Arras
2012 : Amsterdam 1, Arras, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhague
2014 : Milan
2017 : Ed solo : Amsterdam 1