Ed - Santa Cruz, 5 avril 2008

La tournée 2008 solo d'Eddie Vedder : setlists, photos, impressions et commentaires

Ed - Santa Cruz, 5 avril 2008

Message par Olikatie » Jeu Mars 27, 2008 8:05 am

Salle: Civic Auditorium

Membre(s) PJforum présent :

Soundcheck: Arc, Cant't Keep, Hard Sun (Indio)

Setlist: Walkin' the Cow (Daniel Johnston), Around the Bend, I Am Mine, Dead Man, I´m Open, Man of the Hour, Setting Forth, Far Behind, Rise, No Ceiling, Guaranteed, Millworker (James Taylor), Broken Hearted, Goodbye, You´re True, I Used to Work in Chicago (Traditional), Driftin', Hide Your Love Away (Beatles), Trouble (Cat Stevens), Forever Young (Bob Dylan), Porch

Rappels 1: Happy Birthday (to Mike McCready), Society (Jerry Hannan, w/ Liam Finn), Lukin, No More, Arc

Rappel 2: Santa Cruz Improv, Hard Sun (Indio, w/ Liam Finn on drums and Eliza-Jane Barnes on vocals)
:bb: Jeremy est né le 28.04.06 et Fanny le 17.07.09 :bb:
Olikatie

Message(s) : 17466

Re: Ed - Santa Cruz, 5 avril 2008

Message par dirtyfranck » Dim Avr 06, 2008 6:13 am

Soundchecks :
Arc, Can't Keep, Hard Sun

Setlist :
1. Walking the Cow
2. Around the Bend
3. I Am Mine
4. Dead Man
5. I'm Open
6. Man of the Hour
7. Setting Forth
8. Far Behind
9. Rise
10. No Ceiling
11. Guaranteed
12. Millworker
13. Broken Heart
14. Goodbye
15. You're True
16. I Used To Work In Chicago
17. Drifting
18. Hide Your Love Away
19. Trouble
20. Forever Young
21. Porch

Encore 1:
22. Happy Birthday to Mike McCready
23. Society
24. Lukin
25. No More
26. Arc
27. ???
28. Hard Sun
dirtyfranck

Message(s) : 645

Message par strummer » Dim Avr 06, 2008 9:48 am

:shock: ce nombre de morceaux de fous !
paris marseille barcelone vérone berne londres dusseldorf munich berlin los angeles los angeles londres manchester dublin belfast stockholm manchester milan
strummer

Message(s) : 9354

Message par yoyo » Dim Avr 06, 2008 10:59 am

Enorme ! Ca va déchirer !!!

Moins d'une semaine maintenant !!! yeahhhh !!!!

28 songs ...!!!
I m open, lukin, setting forth, hard sun, walkin' ... et j'en passe, ça va être trop bon ...
Liam, 25 septembre 2012 / Aimy-Sarah, 11 mars 2008 / Juliette, 23 octobre 2005
1996 : Paris
2000 : Paris
2006 : Anvers, Marseille, Paris
2007 : Londres, Nimègue, Werchter
2008 : Ed solo : Los Angeles 1, Los Angeles 2
2009 : Londres
2010 : Dublin, Arras
2012 : Amsterdam 1, Arras, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhague
2014 : Milan
2017 : Ed solo : Amsterdam 1
2018 : Rome
2020 : Paris, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2
yoyo

Message(s) : 7512

Message par Blackcorduroy » Dim Avr 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Vas-y vos gueules serieux. :$$$: :$$$: :$$$: :$$$:
Tour 2006: Marseille / Paris / Bern / Bologne / Verone / Milan / Turin / Pistoia
Tour 2007: Madrid / Venise (annulé) / Londres / Nimeque / Werchter / Dusseldorf
Tour 2009: Rotterdam / Manchester / Londres
Tour 2010: Dublin / Belfast / Arras / Werchter
Tour 2012: Manchester I & II / Amsterdam I & II / Werchter / Arras
Tour 2014: Amsterdam I & II / Milan / Berlin
Tour 2016: Philly I & II / NYC I & II
Blackcorduroy

Message(s) : 6052

Message par marcus » Dim Avr 06, 2008 12:57 pm

oh la set-list, around the bend, i'm open....et le tas de morceaux...ouhh :shock:
marcus

Message(s) : 739

Message par dvi2702 » Dim Avr 06, 2008 2:13 pm

Setlist: Walking the Cow, Around the Bend, I Am Mine, Dead Man, I'm Open, MOTH, Setting Forth, Far Behind, Rise, No Ceiling, Guaranteed, Millworker, Broken Hearted, Goodbye, You're True, Chicago, Driftin, Hide Your Love Away, Trouble, Forever Young, Porch

Encore 1: Happy Birthday to Mike McCready, Society, Lukin, No More, Arc

Encore 2: Santa Cruz (new song), Hard Sun
#jesuisPA :peace:
dvi2702

Message(s) : 8750

Message par dvi2702 » Dim Avr 06, 2008 8:18 pm

http://www.independent.com/news/2008/ap ... anta-cruz/

Pearl Jam Frontman Lights Up California Coast on Way to Santa Barbara
Sunday, April 6, 2008
By Matt Kettmann

One of the most awaited one-man-and-his-guitar tours landed in California on Saturday, April 5, when Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder touched down in the Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium and pleased the raucous crowd with an energetic, soulful, and simplistically innovative two hours of music. The singer’s deep, throaty voice is one of the modern generation’s most distinctive, his guitar handling never fails to wow, and his poetic songwriting skills seem to have only strengthened with age, as evidenced by his Grammy-nominated soundtrack for Into the Wild.

But before Vedder came opener Liam Finn, a drum-smashing and guitar-playing Kiwi in his early 20s who uses looping pedals to craft a full band sound, even though it’s just him and voluptuous vocalist/autoharpist Eliza Jane Barnes on stage. Promoting his solo debut album I’ll Be Lightning, Finn broke a massive sweat with his crazed drumming, wrecking one of his new snares during one of his first songs. (Luckily, a man in a lab coat came from off-stage and quickly fixed the drum.) And his guitar playing wasn’t any less enthusiastic. His songs swept from slower ballads to hard rocking to ethereal, seemingly Maori-inspired flights of sound, an excellent, mouth-wetting appetizer for the evening’s main course.

Eddie Vedder hit the stage a little completely alone right before 9 p.m., eliciting a loud and inspired response from the sold-out crowd of about 2,000 fans — people were jumping in their seats, standing on chairs, yelling “Eddie! Eddie! We love you Eddie!”, and engaging in the sort of over-the-top activity reserved for rock stars of the highest order. He jumped right in, playing three songs before even addressing the crowd. When Vedder finally did converse, the lifelong surfer expressed gratitude for being in Santa Cruz, especially because it was the place that wetsuits were invented. He compared coming from Vancouver — the site of the tour’s first two shows — to Santa Cruz as much like the sensation of “pissing in a wetsuit,” a nod to the considerably warmer climes of the Golden State.

Although it was truly just Eddie and his considerable quiver of guitars — there were at least eight of them, including a mandolin and two ukuleles (one electric, one acoustic) — the stage was quite a scene from about 30 rows back. The backdrop appeared to be depicting a warehouse full of boxes or, perhaps, the discarded frames from an art studio sitting outside. There was what appeared to be a reel-to-reel film projector (that turned out later to play audio), an unturned carton of Corona, an odd winged creature hanging out on a rear speaker, and that kind of homey, creative sense usually found in the basement or garage studios of musicians’ homes. And then there was the sound tech in a lab coat, coming out between every song to replace Vedder’s axes.

Song-wise, Vedder played many of the Into the Wild cuts, including the Golden Globe-winning “Guaranteed.” The newer stuff was peppered with bits of the older stuff, including the always loved cover of The Beatles’ “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away.” He interspersed his songs with stories from the short tour, about failed omelet ordering in Vancouver, and even offered to answer the call of one onlooker whose cell phone kept ringing. That person, for some reason, passed on the offer.

After the show’s first ending, the crowd raised a rather organized encore, yelling “Ed-die” clapping in unison. He returned to a new backdrop, this one a painting of an oversized tent, like the type you’d gather under on an African safari. Liam Finn joined him for one song, and then Vedder did two “sing-alongs.” The first was a Pearl Jam hit, and the second was “No More,” an anti-Iraq war song that he recorded as part of the soundtrack for Phil Donahue’s documentary Body of War, about a wounded Iraq vet named Tomas Young. The crowd yelled “No more!” altogether, a political statement that was likely more supported in peace-loving Santa Cruz than in any other American municipality.

Suddenly, the lab coated man gave Eddie his own coat, and the singer proceeded to conduct an “experiment.” Leaning over while sitting, he began signing resonant, powerful vocals, and looping them. The sound grew into a tidal wave of harmonic noise, and given that Vedder wears a shaggy mop and was wearing a monkly white robe, it wasn’t hard to imagine that this heavenly chorus would have played the soundtrack to Jesus Christ moving the stone away from his cave after being crucified. The curtains slowly came to a close, and many thought the show was over.

But after a few more minutes of carousing, Vedder returned to the stage, this time with an angelic backdrop of sea and clouded blue sky. Explaining that he’d skipped the surf to work on another experiment, he unleashed a song written especially for Santa Cruz. The crowd, obviously, got into it, cheering resoundingly when Vedder sung about trading the soggy Northwest for the sunny shores here. Soon he was joined by Liam Finn and EJ Barnes to close the show with a rendition of “Hard Sun,” a song originally by Indio off the Into the Wild soundtrack. With that, the mad scientist songwriter took a fitting bow, and the Santa Cruz crowd slipped into the night.

Although Eddie Vedder proved an excellent show solo, word on the Santa Barbara streets is that when he comes to play this Thursday, April 11, he might have some friends in tow, including one named Jack, as everyone gets prepared for the annual Kokua Festival in Hawaii. If you’ve got tickets, consider yourself lucky. If not, consider finding a scalper this Thursday
dvi2702

Message par Denis » Dim Avr 06, 2008 8:24 pm

DVI2702 a écrit :Although Eddie Vedder proved an excellent show solo, word on the Santa Barbara streets is that when he comes to play this Thursday, April 11, he might have some friends in tow, including one named Jack, as everyone gets prepared for the annual Kokua Festival in Hawaii. If you’ve got tickets, consider yourself lucky. If not, consider finding a scalper this Thursday

héhé je ne me suis jamais spécialement intéressé à Jack Johnson mais ça peut être cool
"I don't question our existence, I just question our modern needs"
Music Box
Denis

Message(s) : 15078

Message par Blackcorduroy » Dim Avr 06, 2008 8:28 pm

Denis a écrit :
DVI2702 a écrit :Although Eddie Vedder proved an excellent show solo, word on the Santa Barbara streets is that when he comes to play this Thursday, April 11, he might have some friends in tow, including one named Jack, as everyone gets prepared for the annual Kokua Festival in Hawaii. If you’ve got tickets, consider yourself lucky. If not, consider finding a scalper this Thursday

héhé je ne me suis jamais spécialement intéressé à Jack Johnson mais ça peut être cool

Crise cardiaque de sa race là.
Tour 2006: Marseille / Paris / Bern / Bologne / Verone / Milan / Turin / Pistoia
Blackcorduroy

Message par myth4343 » Dim Avr 06, 2008 8:33 pm

Je suis à Santa Barbara :mrgreen:
Londres 2007; Nijmegen 2007; Werchter 2007
myth4343

Message(s) : 2325

Message par Denis » Dim Avr 06, 2008 8:35 pm

myth4343 a écrit :Je suis à Santa Barbara :mrgreen:

attends, les avions ça tombe :mrgreen:
Music Box
Denis

Message par myth4343 » Dim Avr 06, 2008 8:38 pm

Héhé, tu voulais dire qu'ils atterrissent?
Londres 2007; Nijmegen 2007; Werchter 2007
myth4343

Message(s) : 2325

Message par Denis » Dim Avr 06, 2008 9:05 pm

myth4343 a écrit :Héhé, tu voulais dire qu'ils atterrissent?

bah, c'est de la sémantique, ça :)
Music Box
Denis

Message par Blackcorduroy » Dim Avr 06, 2008 9:38 pm

Voilà, là c'est bon j'ai la haine. LA HAINE.
Blackcorduroy

Message par Olikatie » Lun Avr 07, 2008 12:49 pm

Eddie Vedder gives Santa Cruz a little extra

Concert tour continues Monday in Berkeley

Eddie Vedder didn't have to make the extra effort. The 2,000 or so who crammed into Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium on Saturday were thrilled just to be in the presence of rock royalty, as the lead singer of Pearl Jam took the stage for the first U.S. performance of his first solo acoustic tour. (The tour continues with sold-out shows at Berkeley's Zellerbach Auditorium tonight and Tuesday.)

But after nearly two hours of stripped-down Pearl Jam obscurities, living-room ukulele ditties, favorite covers, a quirky room-service anecdote, a beautiful experiment in vocal loops and several songs from Vedder's soundtrack to Sean Penn's "Into the Wild," Vedder launched into "Pulling Into Santa Cruz," a loving ode to Surf City penned that very afternoon in lieu of catching some waves.

"I can feel the lifting of my blues," he sang, "pulling into Santa Cruz."

Aww, Eddie, you shouldn't have.

It was a dream night for Pearl Jam fans, and an ultimately satisfying evening even for those who aren't a member of that particular flannel-clad tribe.

Vedder's young friend Liam Finn began the evening with a set that focused more on noise and mayhem and less on melodic song-craft than the one he delivered last year in Oakland before his father's band, Crowded House. We'd see more of him and his sidekick, singer E-J Barnes, later.

Vedder took center stage around 8:30, perched on a stool amid various electric and acoustic instruments, a Corona case on its side and a reel-to-reel tape player nearby. He was attended to by a roadie in a white lab coat, in keeping with the experimental vibe of the evening.
Vedder began with an assortment of lesser-known Pearl Jam tunes, starting with "Walking the Cow," before heading into five tunes from "Into the Wild." Next came a pair of unrecorded ukulele ditties - one sad, one upbeat - before a mix of Pearl Jam tunes and songs from James Taylor, Cat Stevens and Bob Dylan, plus a singalong on the Beatles' "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away."

Accompanying himself on guitar, the rock icon proved himself a capable finger-picker, though he often revved up the crowd by simply strumming chords with violent force like a juiced up Melissa Etheridge. The technique always got applause, and it worked fine on Pearl Jam barn-burners, but it detracted from numbers like the otherwise straightforward version of Taylor's "Millworker." For the "Into the Wild" soundtrack's "Rise," Vedder pulled out a mandolin, which he described as "kind of a bluegrass ukulele," explaining precisely his ham-handed approach to the instrument.

Though Vedder was understated and anything but the flashy rock star, the singer's star power did sometimes threaten to dwarf the intimacy of the music. For a version of Dylan's "Forever Young," Vedder had the lights turned low to try to put the focus simply on the lyrics. "I'm just trying to get a message to you," he said.

Vedder ended his 80-minute set with a powerful acoustic version of Pearl Jam's "Porch," then came back with Finn by his side for a set of encores that began with "Happy Birthday," dedicated in absentia to his PJ band-mate Mike McCready. That one was followed by a lovely Vedder/Finn duet on "Society," one of the best tunes from "Into the Wild" (composed by North Bay singer-songwriter Jerry Hannan). Next, Vedder donned a white lab coat and took a page from the Finn playbook by laying down a beautiful eight-bar vocal loop and wailing over top of it; the music continued as the curtains closed and Vedder took his "final" bows.

But he returned once more, for the aforementioned Santa Cruz song. The night ended with the whole company, including Finn on drums, performing a rousing version of "Hard Sun," the obscure '80s Canadian track that Vedder resurrected for "Into the Wild."

Guess what? This promising folksinger sounds good with a band, too.
Olikatie

Message par PA » Lun Avr 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Puté l'overdose de presets ! :shock:
My Stats : 19 shows seen, 500 total performances seen, 103 unique PJ songs seen, 25 unique cover seen
PA

Message(s) : 125

Message par dvi2702 » Mar Avr 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Ed after soundcheck:

Ed with luke the uke:
Dernière édition par dvi2702 le Mer Avr 16, 2008 9:14 pm, édité 1 fois.
dvi2702

Message par Olikatie » Ven Avr 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Eddie Vedder gets into that Santa Cruz frame of mind

One thing is readily apparent from Eddie Vedder's sold out show at the Civic Auditorium last Saturday night: the man loves Santa Cruz. He loves it enough he stayed in his hotel room -- shunning the waves he loves to ride -- to pen a tribute to our fair city.

Vedder's ode to Surf City came toward the end of his 28-song set, and the chorus went something like "I can't feel any blues/I can feel myself rising anew/Got the feeling I just can't lose/Pulling into Santa Cruz." It also included a reference to listening to a "Neil Young tape on the stereo/It goes with me everywhere I go." The appreciative crowd ate it up.

In the past, Vedder's been accused of being overly serious, even downright depressing. But he's got a fantastic sense of humor, when he feels comfortable enough to open up. And this intimate solo acoustic tour gives him just that opportunity. Over the course of the evening, he joked about everything from a strange room service mixup concerning an egg-white omelette with tomatoes and cheese in a Vancouver hotel, and how coming to Santa Cruz directly from Vancouver reminded him of the feeling of "pissing in a wet suit" -- an ode to Santa Cruz being the birthplace of surfer's neoprene. He even poked fun at an unfortunate fan sitting near the front whose cell phone rang, not once, but twice in the space of half a minute. He talked of how he likes to write sad songs on a happy instrument, the ukulele.

And he fit in a rendition of "Happy Birthday" for his Pearl Jam bandmate Mike McCready whom Vedder called "one of my all-time favorite guitarists."

Beyond the jokes and the relaxed banter, though, Vedder gave a stirring performance of some lesser-known Pearl Jam tracks, weaved his way through the best parts of his "Into the Wild" soundtrack and pulled out some stunning covers. And while he forgot some lyrics here and there, and even botched a song that he had to start over, the friendly campfire-like vibe helped soften his miscues.

Clad in a brown flannel grunge still lives!, white jeans and brown boots, hair hanging to his shoulders over a short-cropped beard, Vedder opened the show with "Walking the Cow," a song written by Daniel Johnston and covered by Pearl Jam at one of their many Bridge School Benefit concerts in the past.

The stage set was simple, with Vedder seated on a stool in the middle of the stage surrounded by an acoustic guitar, tenor guitar, ukulele, a mandolin and two electric guitars in the form of a Fender Strat and a Fender Tele. To his left stood a table with an old-fashioned reel-to-reel tape player more on that later. The lighting was simple and understated, which fit the mood of the night well. A Corona beer case adorned with stickers acted as a set piece.

From there, Vedder moved along to two Pearl Jam songs, "Around the Bend" from 1996's "No Code," and "I Am Mine" from 2002's "Riot Act." Both songs showed off Vedder's impressively warm baritone voice.

Next up came the haunting "Dead Man," written for Tim Robbins' film "Dead Man Walking," but not included on the soundtrack. Written from the perspective of a prisoner on death row, it sent the crowd into an attentive silence.

After a brief version of "I'm Open," an obscure song from "No Code" which he introduced by saying he imagined it as a conversation between a lone backcountry hiker and the sky, Vedder again dipped into his soundtrack work, this time performing "Man of the Hour," written for Tim Burton's film "Big Fish."

He joked about the size and the layout of the Civic Auditorium, saying it was like an arena that was miniaturized. "It makes me feel bigger," he said, pounding on the up stage with his boot.

From there, Vedder played a few selections from the "Into the Wild" soundtrack, including "Setting Forth," "Far Behind," "Rise," "No Ceiling" and "Guaranteed." These songs were stripped down versions of those on the already raw soundtrack album, and showcased Vedder's able finger-picking skills.

Before settling into a set of ukulele songs, Vedder unveiled a fantastic cover of James Taylor's "Millworker," which has been covered by everyone from Bette Midler to Emmylou Harris.

His ukulele set featured some unreleased Vedder gems that were new to many in the audience. He joked that no matter how sad he felt, the ukulele was like that uber-positive friend everyone has who always makes you look at the bright side of life, "you know, kind of like Australians," he said, finishing with a "No worries" in a mock Aussie accent.

What followed next was a short humorous song about, according the Vedder, "the time I lost my job and my girlfriend on the same day." He said it was about the time he spent working in a liquor store in Chicago, and it may have been called "I Used to Work in Chicago," but the reference to servicing a female patron who asked for liquor, along with Vedder's sly grin, points to Vedder's sly sense of humor -- in line with songwriters like Ray Davies and Neil Young.

Then came a rousing version of "Drifting," off Pearl Jam's "Lost Dogs" collection of B-sides and rarities released in 2003. A trio of covers came next, including the Beatles' "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" with the crowd providing the "heys!", "Trouble" by Cat Stevens, and Bob Dylan's "Forever Young." For that song, a handheld suitcase was open at Vedder's feet, and it contained a small bulb that provided the only light, at Vedder's direction. He asked for the bright stage lights to be completely dimmed because he wanted to "give the audience a message."

He closed the initial set with "Porch," from 1991's landmark album "Ten." Vedder returned to the stage, joined by opening act Liam Finn, to sing Mike McCready "Happy Birthday." Finn and Vedder then joined forces for a moving version of "Into the Wild" track "Society," originally written by Jerry Hannan. If Vedder is slightly undersized, Finn is downright elfin, although what he lacks in size, he more than makes up for in passion and delivery, much like Vedder.

Vedder punked up the acoustic guitar with a thrash version of "Lukin," a track named after Mudhoney drummer Matt Lukin and included on "No Code." This featured some of the fiercest strumming of the night, showing that Vedder, despite wielding an acoustic guitar, is still in touch with his punk rock roots.

The singer prefaced his next song, "No More," by saying he'd like everyone to sing along, no matter what their political affiliation. The song is Vedder's contribution to the movie "Body of War," and was inspired by Thomas Young, a soldier who came home from Iraq disillusioned and angry.

Up next was an impressive experiment that featured Vedder stepping a little outside his usual comfort zone. Donning a white scientist's gown that his roadie was also wearing all night, and using a live looping device, Vedder layered his own voice and then proceeded to let loose a spine-tingling, Middle Eastern-tinged vocal melody line that recalled his work with the late Qawwalli singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. A second short break ensued, with the curtains again separating, to the surprise of a cigarette-puffing Vedder, who quickly stomped out the butt, and then introduced his ode to Santa Cruz.

The last song of the night saw Liam Finn and his bandmate E.J. Barnes join Vedder on an inspiring version of "Hard Sun," from the "Into the Wild" soundtrack. The song included a backing acoustic guitar track played from the aforementioned reel-to-reel player, Finn on drums, Barnes on backing vocals and Vedder on electric guitar and lead vocals. Oh yes, and a fog-machine that blanketed the stage floor with a thin layer of white mist.

Opener Liam Finn clearly inherited the melody gene from his dad, Neil Finn of Split Enz and Crowded House fame. His vocal melodies were very Beatles-esque, and his song "I'll Be Lightning," featured some riffing from the song "Dear Prudence."

Finn played guitar and drums, using a looping device to create sonic layers of melody and harmony. Bandmate Barnes's lovely female voice blended fantastically with Finn's, and she utilized a looping device on her voice too. Check out Finn's debut album, "I'll Be Lightning."
Olikatie

Retour vers EV Tour solo 2008