Winnipeg, 17 septembre 2011 - Topic officiel

Rumeurs et confirmations concernant une tournée de Pearl Jam en 2011

Winnipeg, 17 septembre 2011 - Topic officiel

Message par dvi2702 » Mer Sep 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Soundcheck: Not For You

Setlist: Why Go, Animal, All Night, Corduroy, Arms Aloft (Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros), Amongst The Waves, Small Town, Wishlist, Daughter/W.M.A./It's OK (Dead Moon), Green Disease, The Fixer, Evenflow, I Got Shit/Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young), Down, Olé, Unthought Known, Once

Encore 1: Inside Job, Just Breathe, Present Tense, Comatose, Porch

Encore 2: Search And Destroy (The Stooges, w/ Mark Arm and Steve Turner, Mudhoney), Crazy Mary (Victoria Williams), Alive, Rockin' In The Free World (Neil Young), Indifference

Posters:
ImageImage
#jesuisPA :peace:
dvi2702

Message(s) : 8750

Re: Winnipeg, 17 septembre 2011 - Topic officiel

Message par Denis » Dim Sep 18, 2011 8:35 am

01. Why Go
02. Animal
03. All Night
04. Corduroy
05. Arms Aloft-(Bullen, Shields, Slatterly, Stafford, Strummer)
06. Amongst The Waves
07. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town {Ed says "I would like to send this one out to our friends Chris and Mira}
08. Wishlist
09. Daughter/WMA/It's OK-(Cole)
10. Green Disease
11. The Fixer
12. Evenflow
{Ed forgets how to start "I Got Shit". Stone shows him the first chords. Ed then talks about recording the "Mirror Ball" album with Neil Young. Ed says that he only recently came to the realization that part of "I Got Shit" is very similar to Neil's "Cinnamon Girl"}
13. I Got Shit/Cinnamon Girl-(Young) {very brief only repeats a line twice}
14. Down
15. Olé
16. Unthought Known
17. Once

ENCORE BREAK 1
18. Inside Job
{Ed talks about hockey player Randy Jones and his wife driving for 36 hours to come to Winnipeg and them listening to Pearl Jam radio for all but one of those 36 hours. This prompts the crowd to chant "go Jets go". Ed joins in playing guitar and singing "go Jets go" with the crowd}
19. Just Breathe (For Randy and Stephanie)
20. Present Tense
21. Comatose {The band starts song playing wrong chords. They stop playing and Mike starts into "Ain't Talking 'bout Love". Matt and Jeff join in while Ed dances. It doesn't last long before they start playing "Comatose"}
22. Porch (during the outro Ed sings while standing on the barricade)

ENCORE BREAK 2
23. Search And Destroy w/ Mark Arm & Steve Turner of Mudhoney-(Pop, Williamson) {At Ed's request Mark Arm dedicates the song to Ed's brother Mike and his wife Sandy and congratulations them on the birth of their son}
24. Crazy Mary-(Williams)
25. Alive
26. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young) {Ed says "this is for the Jets. Go Jets}
27. Indifference

un peu plus court ;-)
"I don't question our existence, I just question our modern needs"
Music Box
Denis

Message(s) : 15081

Message par dvi2702 » Dim Sep 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Official Pearl Jam photos by Karen Loria:

#jesuisPA :peace:
dvi2702

Message(s) : 8750

Message par Olikatie » Dim Sep 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Pearl Jam shares the wine, rocks the crowd

Saturday
MTS Centre
Attendance: 12,200
Five out of five stars :D

WINNIPEG — Don’t ever let it be said that Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder isn’t a generous guy.
Not only did he and his band give a rowdy crowd of 12,200 at the MTS Centre exactly what they wanted Saturday, the vocalist shared a few bottles of wine with fans at various points during the show.
His willingness to pass around his wine was one of numerous highlights during a 27-song, two-and-a-half-hour set filled with standout moments.
It was Pearl Jam’s first visit to Winnipeg since 2005, and as they have done their entire 20-year career, the band didn’t stick to a script. Instead of playing the same set night after night, the group tailors each set to the city they’re playing in, so the setlist in Winnipeg is different than previous shows in any other city.
There was no way to predict what was coming next: they played whatever they wanted, which turned out to be a huge treat for fans.
And this was a show for the fans who have stuck with the band over the years -- instead of just cherry picking hits, the band pulled out album tracks, rarities and covers from the likes of Joe Strummer, the Stooges and Neil Young.
There were no gimmicks or fancy stage tricks either. The only prop was a simple backdrop of animated speakers resembling dominos and an efficient light show. The band walked on stage just before 9 p.m., picked up their instruments, waved to the crowd and launched into Why Go off their 1991 debut Ten.
The crowd was on its feet instantly singing, and got even more animated for Animal and the driving All Night off the Lost Dogs album of B-sides and unreleased material. All Night was so good you had to wonder why it was left off the No Code album.
Vedder is the obvious focal point of the live show and has the most animated stage presence as he jumped in the air doing scissor kicks, banged his head while leaning back with the microphone stand and getting out onto the barrier to sing. He was drinking wine throughout the show, but it didn’t seem to have an effect on his voice, which remains powerful and passionate. He spent half the night with a guitar in his hand, adding an extra dimension to the group's guitar attack.
And what an attack. Guitarists Mike McCready and Stone Gossard were given plenty of chances to show off their skills during extended jams, most notably during a thrilling version of Even Flow and Crazy Mary, a slow subdued number that built a roaring climax. And with or without Vedder on guitar, it was a wall of sound during heavier numbers like Comatose, Corduroy and the punky new song, Ole.
Bassist Jeff Ament was equally animated as he stalked the stage while staying locked into a groove with drummer Matt Cameron.
"All right, live from Winnipeg It’s Saturday night," Vedder said early on to rev up the crowd, who didn’t really need any more help in that department. The audience was clearly ready to party and Pearl Jam offered the perfect soundtrack with a mixture of ballads, balls-out rockers and life-affirming anthems that showed off the its diversity.
The set ebbed and flowed throughout the night with the lovely ballad Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town and Daughter sharing space with the more muscular Green Disease, Unthought Known and Once.
For the second time in three days, the crowd at an MTS Centre concert chanted "Go Jets Go," after Vedder congratulated the city on getting its National Hockey League team back. He even got in on the act and sang, "Go Jets Go," while playing his acoustic guitar before dedicating Just Breathe to Winnipeg Jets defenceman Randy Jones and his girlfriend.
Winnipeg got another nod when the band covered Young’s Rockin’ in the Free World before ending things off on a somber note with the ballad Indifference.
Pearl Jam showed some loyalty to their old friends in Mudhoney by choosing the Seattle legends to open the night (Ament and Gossard used to play with Mudhoney’s Mark Arm and Steve Turner in the pioneering grunge group Green River).
Mudhoney’s 45-minute set ranged from their earliest 1988 singles to their most recent albums. The band sound exactly like their name implies: distorted and raw Stooges-influenced rawk with a slight sweet side.
Anthems Touch Me I’m Sick, In ‘N’ Out of Grace and You Got It (Keep It Out of My Face) were three of the highlights, along with a sludgy version of Sweet Young Thing Ain’t Sweet No More, the punkish Tales of Terror – with frontman Arm doing his best Iggy Pop impression – and a cover of the Dicks Hate the Police.
It was the band’s first time in the city in its 23-year career, and while seeing them at the Pyramid Cabaret would have been preferable, they probably won’t ever be around these parts again so we’ll take them wherever we can see them.
:bb: Jeremy est né le 28.04.06 et Fanny le 17.07.09 :bb:
Olikatie

Message(s) : 17466

Message par Olikatie » Dim Sep 18, 2011 11:00 pm

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/09/18/p ... erfect-ten

Pearl Jam at MTS: A Perfect Ten

There are good concerts. There are great concerts. And then there are Pearl Jam concerts.

As anyone who’s had the experience can (and enthusiastically will) tell you, there’s nothing quite like a Pearl Jam concert. Not even another Pearl Jam concert. In a business based on playing it safe and sticking with the program, these Seattle stalwarts — currently celebrating their 20th anniversary — prefer to play it loose and fly by the seat of their pants. Every one of their shows is a little bit different than the last. Every show is a little bit special. Every show is an experience, an event — something between a shared religious epiphany and the world’s largest campfire singalong.

But don’t take my word for it: Ask any of the 12,200 devoted fans who jammed MTS Centre for the band’s second stop in the city on Saturday night. They’ll tell you what’s what. For their $70 — a bargain by contemporary concert-ticket standards — they got an epic 150-minute set. They got more than two dozen songs spanning the band’s career. They got a pair of lengthy encores. They got covers of Joe Strummer, The Stooges and Neil Young. They got to share Eddie Vedder’s wine. They got to hear news about his family. They got guitar picks and smashed tambourines. They got to sing at the top of their lungs and dance like merry drunken fools. They got to hear Eddie make up a ditty about the Jets. They got a fiery opening set from their old pals in grunge pioneers Mudhoney. And they got to go home knowing that the show they saw belongs to them and nobody else. That’s why the fans love Pearl Jam. That’s why they follow them on tour. That’s why they post every set list on the band’s website instantly (and thanks for saving me some time there, kids). And that’s why they pore over the details of every second, every song, every show. So let’s get down to the details, shall we? Here are my song-by-song notes:

Why Go

A few weeks back, lead guitarist Mike McCready told me that when Eddie draws up the set list each night, he refers back to previous shows in the same city to make sure they aren’t repeating themselves. When they were last here almost six years ago to the day, they opened with Better Man. Not sure what made him opt for this wiry, energized track from their debut album Ten, but it seems to make sense, given the nostalgic, celebratory zone they’ve been in lately. Not that anything else suggests this tour is out of the ordinary. As usual, their small stage is a study in bare-bones minimalism and practicality. There are no ramps or risers or colour-coordinated sets; just the amps and instruments they need to get the job done. Ditto the production. Forget confetti cannons, dry ice machines and lasers; all you get is basic lighting. Their outfits are their street clothes; Jeans, sneakers and T-shirts. The bearded, longhaired Vedder sports a shirt with the sleeves rolled up, like he’s ready to get down to work. The only concession to arena-rock showmanship is a banner behind them, with PJ spelled out in speaker cabinets. And they’re probably embarrassed by it.

Animal

From Ten to Vs. Guess Eddie is feeling chronological tonight. But it’s another solid choice that keeps the forward momentum going. Vedder leans back, hanging so low off the mic stand he looks like he’s doing the limbo — or channeling Keanu Reeves in The Matrix. Between songs, he looked like he was stretching. The rest of the band still seem to be limbering up too. Nobody is moving around too much yet. Hey, none of us is getting any younger.

All Night

Well, that didn’t take long. After ramping up with the first two songs, everybody and everything kicks into a higher gear with this surging rocker from Lost Dogs (if memory serves, it’s a No Code outtake). Keyboard player Boom Gaspar joins the lineup, adding some rich Hammond organ to the tune.

Corduroy

“Live from Winnipeg, it’s Saturday night!” announces Eddie by way of introduction, strapping on a guitar for this Vitalogy workhorse. (Vedder's set list is still going in roughly chronological order.) McCready starts to get a little more animated; considering he’s the most regular-looking dude of the bunch, it’s kind of ironic he’s the guy who usually busts out most of the rock-star moves. Rhythm guitarist Stone Gossard and bassist Jeff Ament are still mostly keeping their heads down.

Arms Aloft

The house lights go up and Vedder says Hey. Literally. “We’re sure happy to be here and it looks like you feel the same way,” he understates. Then he launches into a spiel about how the next song is about love and its many splendors— until he realizes he’s introducing the wrong song. “Ignore everything I just said,” he deadpans, before the band cranks out a scrappy, chiming take of a Joe Strummer tune. Very cool.

Amongst the Waves

“And now, a song that really needs no introduction,” cracks Vedder, referring to his previous gaffe. This is one of the reasons people love him: When he talks, he’s not some glib, slick entertainer. He’s kind of halting and mumbly and almost shy. He seems just like one of us. But once the music starts — whether it’s one of their anthemic rockers or a moody ballad like this — he is transformed into a different person: Powerful, passionate, magical, magnetic. And he’s no longer one of us. That’s the other reason people love him.

Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town

Another Vs. cut. Eddie straps on the electric guitar again — he seems to be playing more than he was last time he was here — while Stone handles the acoustic portion of this gently soaring waltz.

Wishlist

Still moving forward, here’s a chugger from 1998’s Yield. McCready has been getting more animated as the night goes along, bouncing around over on stage right, running back and forth and tossing picks into the crowd like he’s Rick Nielsen. When it comes time to solo however, he’s all business. Near the end of the song, Eddie changes the lyrics to “I wish I was Canadian,” sparking massive cheers, naturally. Hey, they may have integrity, but they’re not idiots. A little pandering to the crowd never hurts.

Daughter

And yet another Vs. number. They’re hitting that album pretty hard so far. Ament sits down to play an upright bass on this one, which stretches and morphs into W.M.A. and Dead Moon’s It’s OK. It’s a long piece of midtempo tension, but still a workout: As Eddie tosses his head around, sweat beads are flung from his brow.

Green Disease

Another jump ahead to 2002’s Riot Act. There’s a false start, then drummer Matt Cameron lays down a rock-solid foundation for this propulsive, punky blast. Ament’s bass is meaty and grindy. Which reminds me: Kudos to whoever is doing sound: Not only can you actually make out Ament’s bass, you can differentiate between the three guitars onstage. Easier said than done. McCready has really hit his stride now; he’s up at the front of the stage, playing to the crowd when he isn’t running laps of his side-wash monitors and leaping about. Rock on, dude.

The Fixer

Finally, we flash-forward again to their latest album: 2009’s Backspacer. Dig the slashing guitars and ’70s rock groove on this one. Those chords — and Eddie’s “Hey hey hey” vocals — have just enough KISS in their DNA. The crowd takes up the, “Yeah, yeah, yeah” refrain with gusto. And without a fight.

Even Flow

You gotta love this set list so far: From their latest, Vedder takes us right back to the beginning again. The crowd goes nuts and the lights whirl about as this one kicks off. Despite having played it countless times, they aren’t phoning it in. McCready cuts loose with an extended solo built from piercing notes and volcanic licks. Ament and Gossard are nose-to-nose in front of Cameron, anchoring down the beat. Vedder wanders off to the back of stage left with a smoke and a bottle of wine, teasing the crowd with the booze before bolting back to the mic for the final choruses.

I Got Id

“This is one we did with Neil Young,” offers Vedder before this chunky Merkin Ball rocker (and Mirror Ball leftover). “It wasn't until two years ago that I realized the chorus was almost exactly Cinnamon Girl, but he never said a damn thing about it.” To prove his point, Vedder tosses in a verse from Cinnamon Girl near the end. Yep, he’s right.

Down

While the band works its way through this strummy rocker, Vedder makes good on his earlier tease and starts pouring out the vino to fans in the front row. Even better, he enlists one of the bouncers to ferry cups back and forth. Sadly, he forgot to bring communion wafers to complete the picture.

Olé

“We gotta keep going,” Eddie says. Not sure whether he’s trying to explain something to us or urge his bandmates to pick up the pace, but whichever it is, this driving new single seems to do the trick.

Unthought Known

Sticking with the newer material, Vedder kicks off this Backspacer gem on guitar, gradually building up the chuggy, offbeat groove. It almost has a Latin feel at times — until it busts wide open into full-sized anthem on the chorus. As always, every time Eddie takes off his guitar, he heaves his pick straight into the audience. They just never stop giving, these guys.

Once

From the new back to the old yet again, the main set wraps with this big, rolling funk rocker from Ten. The musicians have only been onstage for 75 minutes, and they’re burned through 17 songs. And they’re far from over. So much for resting on their laurels.

Inside Job

“They’ve been doing two encores at every concert,” the guy one row down from me drunkenly yells in my ear. “Let’s get three.” Like I have some say in the matter. In any case, the first encore opens with this dreamy number from the self-titled 2006 album (guess Eddie is filling in the gaps now). McCready (who wrote this one, Vedder tells us) sports a double neck a la Jimmy Page. A fake glitterball effect dances on the backdrop — which has been changed to a stylized PJ. Wait, two different backdrops?! Who do these guys think they are, Nickelback?

Just Breathe

After strapping on an acoustic guitar, Vedder plays to the crowd a little more, enthusing about the Jets, talking about meeting one of the players and even making up a little “Go Jets go!” ditty when the crowd starts up with the inevitable chant. (Is anybody else already getting sick of hearing that everywhere?) Naturally, the lighters come out for this acoustic ballad.

Present Tense

Over to No Code now (my theory about Eddie’s set-list hopscotch seems to be holding up) for this one. It starts with a slow, jazzy progression from McCready, then builds into a big power-chord blast. During the instrumental section, some butthead heaves a drink at the stage. It lands near the drum riser between Vedder and McCready, but they both seem too focused on the task at hand to notice or care. Kinda punk in its own way.

Comatose

Speaking of punk, here’s another thrashy little firecracker from that self-titled disc. Bonus points to McCready, who launches into the opening riff from Van Halen’s Ain’t Talkin’ ’Bout Love after a false start. I was hoping they were going to go with it — who wouldn’t want to hear Eddie do DLR? — but sadly, it didn’t take.

Porch

Encore 1 wraps up with another Ten track (you can’t say they’ve been ignoring their old stuff). Eddie slowly works his way into the song, scratching away at a funky blues riff before everything shifts into thundering rock-anthem mode. As the lights fire off and the band cooks, Vedder works his way down to the bass bins stacked in front of the stage. Fans go gaga when he dishes up more wine, pouring it into their cups himself. Then he goes one step further: He mounts the barricade at the front of the stage to lead the crowd in call-and-response vocals. Right now, he is God.

Search and Destroy

“Don’t think any of this energy is wasted on us,” Vedder assures fans as they return for the second encore. He says more about how much they appreciate the attention, but it’s all but drowned out by the screaming. Then he gets confessional: “This is a bit intimate for me, but I have three brothers, and they’re all great. The youngest one had a baby boy last night.” Based on his brother, he says, the kid “is going to be the ultimate punk rocker.” Fittingly, they dedicate an ultimate punk anthem to the lad, as Mudhoney’s Mark Arm and Steve Turner — also Ament and Gossard’s old Green River bandmates — return to blast out Iggy and The Stooges’ Search and Destroy. They did it a couple of nights back in Hamilton too, but even if it’s a rerun, it’s still pretty awesome.

Crazy Mary

Still on the baby kick, Vedder tosses out a few possible names (“How about Wayne Gretzky?”) before easing into this acoustic slow-burner and longtime live staple. The “take a bottle, drink it down, pass it around” refrain seems tailor-made for another round of wine-sharing, but I guess that’s a little too on-the-nose for him. Nobody seems to mind. In fact, at this point, it’s almost as if the crowd is literally hypnotized by him. When Vedder raises his arms at one point, thousands of arms in the audience go up in unison. It’s half-thrilling, half-creepy. As the song extends, McCready wanders over to trades solos with Gaspar while Eddie enjoys another smoke break at the back of the stage.

Alive

Clearly, we’re heading for the finish line. Pandemonium erupts as the players ease into this classic. It unspools laid-back and confident, which makes it even more epic and anthemic, if that’s possible. McCready solos with his guitar behind his head — shades of Hendrix — while Eddie comes down front to commune with the faithful again.

Rockin’ in the Free World

Another repeat from their recent Toronto shows — and from their last visit to town. Sadly, we don’t get a Neil Young cameo like the easterners did. But the crowd does a pretty fair job of tearing the roof off the place anyway. As the house lights go up and the band grooves, a roadie tosses two tambourines at Vedder. He bashes them together until they start flying apart, then flings them into the crowd, repeating the procedure until he’s distributed broken percussion gear to all sides of the stage. By the end of the song, he’s bobbing like a punch-drunk fighter, leaning heavily on the mic stand and finally taking a dive to the canvas. This must be the end, right?

Indifference

Nope. There’s still enough gas in the tank for this slow, bluesy cut from Vs. (Clearly the album of the night.) Ament takes a seat with his upright bass again as Vedder sings about “taking punches until their will grows tired.” Which is not a bad metaphor for how he’s spent the past two and a half hours. When he finally vacates the stage one last time and the crowd files out, the guy in front of me campaigns in vain for his third encore. My friend notes, “That’s twice we didn’t get Yellow Ledbetter.” Not that he’s complaining. No one’s complaining. All we can do is hope that Eddie keeps that one in mind for next time.
:bb: Jeremy est né le 28.04.06 et Fanny le 17.07.09 :bb:
Olikatie

Message(s) : 17466

Retour vers Alive 2011